We closely align our application process with the APS open enrollment policies.
Schools which have been designated as magnet schools may develop and implement an admission process that is aligned with the school program and design. This admissions process may include specialized criteria, procedures and/or preferences specific to the school program and design. All magnet school admission processes must be reviewed and approved by the Superintendent or their designee before the admissions process may be implemented. Admission processes for magnet schools shall be maintained on the magnet school’s website. Any subsequent change to an approved admissions process must also be approved by the Superintendent or their designee.
An open enrollment request may be denied at any time if:
1. There is a lack of space or projected teaching staff within a particular program, or school requested;
2. The school requested does not offer appropriate programs for the student, is not structured or equipped with the necessary facilities to meet the student’s special needs , or does not offer a particular program requested;
3. The student does not meet the established eligibility criteria for participation in a particular program, including age requirements, course prerequisites and required levels of performance;
4. The student has been expelled from any school district during the preceding 12 months, or is in the process of being expelled, or the student may be or has been denied permission to enroll pursuant to C.R.S. 22-33-106(3)(A),(B),(C),(E), or (F).
5. The student has demonstrated behavior in another school during the preceding 12 months that is detrimental to the welfare or safety of other students or of school personnel including but not limited to behavior that has resulted in an out-of-school suspension.
Students who move out of the district during the school year may complete the current school year at the school the student is currently attending. Students will be required to attend their new home school/district thereafter, unless application is made for inter-district choice/open enrollment and approval is granted.
Rescinding or Amending Open Enrollments:
Students shall be held to the following standards or students may have their choice/open enrollment rescinded at the end of a school year for all remaining grade levels served by that school.
1. Open enrolled students will be expected to follow school policy for prompt arrival and departure at school.
2. Discipline: no more than one out-of-school suspension each year to be reviewed at the end of each semester.
3. Attendance: eighty-five percent attendance rate each year to be reviewed at the end of each semester. Students who develop attendance and/or tardiness issues will be referred for truancy proceedings.